Rails Engineer [Mid level Developer]
- Recruitment process done virtually until job offer
- Location: Eastwood, Quezon City (Work from Home while on Quarantine)
- Fixed morning shift, Mondays-Fridays
Ascender is a leading payroll and HCM (Human Capital Management) systems and service provider in the APJ region. We are growing within our sector and planning future growth as we integrate into the global Ceridian organization.
We're a growing foreign-owned company of about 60 people based in Tokyo, in the HR tech space. Our core business is providing managed payroll services to both foreign and Japanese clients in the mid-tier market (300-3,000 employee size), based on our own web-based HR/time/leave/payroll system called Workcloud. Our business has grown 30% year-on-year for the last 3 years, and are looking for additional senior / experienced developers to help us expand.
We have 8 developers and 6 QA, and are looking for proactive, full-stack (with heavy emphasis on the backend) Rails developers who can architecture and build large feature additions to our system, as well as continually upgrade our system as the regulatory and use case environment evolves.
Our tech stack and tools
- Ruby on Rails on Unicorn
- JQuery front end
- MySQL / AWS RDS
- AWS OpsWorks / Cloudfront / S3
- CircleCI for CI
- Github / JIRA
- Code coverage around 80%
- Fluent in English, any Japanese a plus
- At least 3 years of Rails experience, including looking under the hood
- TDD-based development experience, with CI as part of normal workflow
- Pull-request code review experience
- Other desired skills
- Some knowledge of cloud infrastructure, so you consider system
- performance as part of your development
- Direct MySQL, so you can write more performant code where needed
- SASS / CSS experience so you can build nice looking UIs.
- Front-end JS framework (React or Vue) to help us convert our employee facing pages to SPA.
What We Offer
- You have the security of 20+ year old company with the mandate to refresh the existing platforms with new technologies i.e. you get to learn and grow your technology skill set
- You have existing tools and processes and opportunities to experiment with new approaches to software development and getting stuff done
- You have experienced developers for mentorship but also a culture that embraces new ideas
Ascender is a leader in providing payroll and HR software solutions in the Asia Pacific region. For over 30 years, we have focused on the prosperity of our clients: growing their businesses, enriching their lives, and shaping their future. We help our clients put their people first to unlock the full potential of their workforce.
On 1 March 2021, Ascender was acquired by Ceridian, a global leader in human capital management technology that provides human resources, payroll, benefits, workforce management, and talent management functionality. With the acquisition of Ascender, Ceridian now serves a combined 1,500 customers and 2.5 million employees across 30 countries in the APJ region.
The acquisition is an exciting milestone in Ceridian and Ascender's journey to scale and accelerate global growth.
If this opportunity sounds like you, please submit your application by clicking the apply button!